Monday 27 February 2012

First bardic duties, for Feastival!

Saturday (25th Feb) was a big day of bardic business, and after learning that it takes me a good twenty minutes to drive to Stony, I made a mad dash for the direction of the Community Orchard. It was only then (having not had time to check out the area in advance) that I learned the scale of the project! My guess is at least forty people were digging and litter picking on that large area just beyond Freestones on Calverton Road preparing the ground for the planting of seeds and saplings in the upcoming weeks.  Thankfully it was a dry day, and frost-free, although still sufficiently cold for a wuss like me to really not cope too well outdoors for very long.

Everyone gathered for my little performance to mark the occasion, and were very appreciative although I did feel a little guilty to come and leave so quickly, leaving everyone else working so hard. I shook a lot of hands, and agreed to meet with many Stony In Bloom folk again for their upcoming events. They’re a serious bunch doing some great work, I hope to have a chance to write for them soon.

I did have to dash as I had shopping and other errands to do, and had to finish my poem for the evening too. Yes, I do like to leave things late sometimes, I think I’m addicted to stress. By some miracle, I got everything done and was surprisingly relaxed by the evening.

So, just before 8pm on Saturday night, after giving a friend a swift guided tour of Stony Stratford, I arrived at the Cock & Bull Real Beer festival. I jostled through the boisterous but friendly crowd to get some of that lovely ale. There were some kind well-wishers in the house, including some from that morning in the orchard. Despite the noise and, er enthusiasm, at this well-underway party, the PA managed to cut across most of the room. And I had the pleasure of this audience quieting down to enjoy some (*shock!*) poetry and, most enjoyably, shouting the poem’s hook back at me in a call-and-response that exceeded my meagre plans and expectations.

Certainly a very enjoyable day, but it actually took me a while to come down from. I’ll be taking part in the “Musical Jam” at the White Horse on 1st March, then might pay Milton Keynes’ Speakeasy a visit on Friday. Other than that, I have a bit of a gap in the poetry diary, time to catch up on some other things, and hopefully find some time to reflect and to write, as Scribal Gathering (13th March at the Bull) is also fast approaching.
Keep up with all the news in Stony and beyond at: http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Buckinghamshire/Milton-Keynes/MK11/News

No comments:

Post a Comment