Saturday 4 February 2012

Opening ceremony

On Tuesday 31st January 2012, the Bardic Council of the beautiful historic market town of Stony Stratford held an open competition to find their new town bard. This was the second “Bardic Trial” and the inaugural bard, Ian Freemantle, had come to the end of his impressively creative and eventful year. The standard has been set high.

The night, at The Crown in the market square, was well-attended and competitively fought. Over 3 rounds the audience and a panel of judges voted to find who they thought best deserved the title Bard of Stony Stratford.

I am honoured and deeply humbled to have been voted the winner.

Before anything, I want to extend my thanks to those who made the event so great: The team at Scribal Gathering, the other competitors, the judges and the featured performers. And all those who attended to give this fantastic cause its deserved sense of importance, especially those who voted for little me!

The first thing I did as bard was to lose the beautiful Bardic Book, so lovingly created by Ian Freemantle and Jess Midwood as an ongoing scrap-book of relevant cuttings and contributions. And as for the giant pencil I was also proffered (I assume, to humourously match the giant book) I dropped it in my kitchen as soon as I got home. Thankfully only chipping a little of the tip. And, more thankfully, the Bardic Book was rescued from where I left it (on the floor of The Crown!) by Ian & Jess, guess they just couldn’t BEAR to part with it just yet!) We have high hopes for where the book should be kept, which hopefully will be confirmed soon.

It’s been a fantastic week, with some press interest and a lot of enthusiasm and kind words from friends, family and fellow poets. This really does feel important. On Friday night, Ian, Jess and I gathered with Richard Frost to record an interview for local internet radio station Secklow Sounds. I hope Richard recorded sufficient usable material. We started quite formal and stilted then, in an attempt to loosen up, drank lots of beer and wine, and had a picnic.

This exuberance wouldn’t have been possible where it not for Ian & Jess’ offer of hospitality. Of course, they live in Stony Stratford, and I was able to leave my car for the night and stay in their beautiful home.

Whilst I grew up in hilltop (next to Fullers Slade), close enough to call Stony my home, I now live in Monkston, which is about 9 miles away! I get to the town whenever I can, for live entertainment, gift shopping, as well as groceries and other necessities if possible.  I would like to live closer to Stony one day, it always surprises me what a strong little town it is, with real community spirit and independence, but I’m not in a position to move homes at the moment, and at least there’s always plenty of free parking. It’s good to have hospitable friends there though, just in case!

Bardic Business proper began this morning, with a tea’n’cakes event at Stony Library from 11am, to celebrate National Libraries week, and to discuss and celebrate the library’s rescue from closure. I hadn’t been called upon to do anything, but decided that I needed to be there. It was very busy, and I met a number of people from various groups and committees to talk about my role, the importance of poetry and performance to the town and in general, and what I could bring to the various local causes. A lively and well-run gathering left me impressed and exhilarated. I also ended up with a huge pile of books to take home... well, I couldn’t resist! Got some shopping done in the town and bought myself a Stony Stratford Calendar (brilliantly pre-filled with so many festivals, market days, and special events!)

Now my diary is bursting with contacts and possible deadlines for poems-to-be, and my mind is buzzing with ideas of how to make the most of this role for the year ahead. Mostly though, I’m so enthused by how busy the town was today. I’m really looking forward to spending more time here and contributing the occasional bit of rhyming commentary. Honoured and humbled, yes, but mostly inspired. I think I’ve found my Muse.

No comments:

Post a Comment